One of the breakout tracks of 2012 was Kendrick Lamar’s excellent Swimming Pools (Drank) where he raps about diving into a pool full of liquor. Someone on Quora asked what would happen if you really did that and Subsea Hydraulics Engineer Ryan Carlyle responded:
You would find it much harder than usual to swim and may drown in an unusually horrible way, for two reasons:
1) Distilled liquors have quite a bit lower density (and thus less buoyancy) than a swimming pool because alcohol is lighter than water. You cannot float in 80 proof alcohol — even with lungs fully inflated, your body is denser than the liquor and you will sink if you stop swimming.
2) The fumes will probably cause you to choke and cough. It will be extremely difficult to get a good breath of air, and what you do inhale may cause you to get drunk to the point of passing out. Then you will pass out, inhale liquid, and die. What I don’t know is whether the asphyxiation or alcohol poisoning will kill you first.
Latest posts by Josh Morrissey (see all)
- Daft Punk’s ‘Get Lucky’ makes a great Soul Train song - May 17, 2013
- Listen to The Weeknd’s new track ‘Kiss Land’ - May 17, 2013
- Watch an incredible Daft Punk medley performance - May 16, 2013